parcom-servicesOverview of Services

We are able to offer extensive legal counsel and advice for a variety of family law matters, including: divorce, legal separation, non-married disputes, contempt, modifications, child custody, and domestic violence.

Divorce Actions

Divorce can be one of the most painful and stressful experiences a person goes through in life. Many important decisions must be made in a short period of time that have the potential to impact the rest of your life, as well as the lives of your children. It is critical to avoid making hasty, misguided decisions when going through a divorce, especially when your children or property interests are involved. The Law Office of Dustin Hoegemeyer is committed to addressing your concerns and achieving your expectations.

The 4 major concerns clients have when facing divorce are:

1)  What will be the living arrangements for your children?  2) How will property and debts be divided?  3) Who will pay child support or spousal support and how much?  4) How long is the divorce process?

Read our blogs for more information on these topics.

What Will The Living Arrangements Be For Your Children?

The living arrangements for your children will be laid out in a parenting plan and will provide exact times a child will reside with each parent. A parenting plan can be structured in many ways and it is wise to consult with an attorney about what provisions are best for your given circumstances. The Law Office of Dustin Hoegemeyer can structure a parenting plan for you that will provide specific provisions and language which reflects your desired living arrangement and protects your children’s best interests.

How Will Your Property Be Divided?

In Washington State, the courts tend to favor a community property approach. Under this approach, each spouse has an interest in almost all property acquired during the marriage.  This may include an interest in your house, bank accounts, retirement accounts, vehicles, etc. The Law Office of Dustin Hoegemeyer will advocate hard to protect your assets and achieve your desired expectations as to how your property should be distributed between your spouse and you.

Who Will Pay Child Support Or Spousal Support And How Much?

Child Support Obligation:  Child support is calculated in accordance with the child support schedule and other guidelines.  Child support is determined by: 1) computing the total income of the parents  2) determining the basic child support obligation from the economic table  3) determining whether a deviation is warranted  4) allocating the support obligation. As such, child support obligations are unique to every case based on the given circumstances.

Spousal Support/Maintenance: After your divorce action begins, you or your spouse may seek spousal support/maintenance. This support can be issued while your divorce action is on-going and may continue after your divorce is finalized. In determining whether a spouse is entitled to support, the court will consider all relevant factors, including but not limited to the statutory factors. The Law Office of Dustin Hoegemeyer can assess your given circumstances and advocate on your behalf, as to whether such support should be granted or not.

How Long Is The Divorce Process?

The divorce process begins when one spouse files a summons and petition for dissolution of marriage with the court. In Washington State, there is a 90 day waiting period until your divorce can be final. The 90 day waiting period begins once the summons and petition for dissolution of marriage are filed and served on the other spouse. After the 90 day waiting period expires, your divorce can end in one of three ways: 1) by agreement of the parties; 2) by default (when one spouse does not appear or respond to the divorce action); or 3) by trial.

Legal Separation

If you are seeking to end your marital relationship, a legal separation is an alternative to divorce. The legal separation process closely mirrors that of a divorce action. The parties will still have to distribute assets/liabilities and make residential arrangements for their children, if applicable.

For more information about legal separations, please contact our office.

Non-Married Disputes

Many people are in intimate, committed, and exclusive relationships with another person to whom they are not legally married. Washington state has provided protections for individuals in these types of relationships, in particular, when it comes to the custody of children and property division.

If you have children

When children are of the relationship, you will need to create a residential schedule for the children. This schedule comes in the form of a parenting plan. A parenting plan dictates how you and your significant other will spend time with the children. It is important to get a parenting plan in place that protects your interests and serves the best interests of your children.

Committed Intimate Relationship

In some situations, people may not have any children of the relationship, but have purchased or shared property with their significant other. You may be entitled to property acquired during the relationship. It is important to consult with an attorney about your options.

Modification Actions

If you want to change or modify current family court orders, you will have to seek a modification action.

Parenting Plan Modifications

It is common for things to change after you have entered your final parenting plan. If these changes are substantial enough, the Court may change the parenting plan. The modification process can be difficult to navigate through and we highly suggest that you consult with an attorney.

Child Support Modifications

A modification action may also be sought when you are trying to change child support obligations. Circumstances may have changed that either warrant a reduction or increase in child support paid by the other parent.

Contempt Actions

If the other parent is not following the parenting plan, child support orders, or other court orders, you may want to seek a contempt action. A contempt action operates as a mechanism to ensure individuals follow court orders. Please consult with our office if the other parent is not following court orders.

Domestic Violence

If you are a victim or have been falsely accused of domestic violence, you may want to consult with an attorney to protect your safety and legal rights.

If you are a victim of domestic violence, criminal prosecution is not always the answer; sometimes it is not enough. There are two primary ways through the courts to protect yourself, either by getting a protection order or restraining order.

To be successfully granted or defend against a protection/restraining order, it is important that you put forth supporting evidence. Our experience and knowledge can assist you in putting forth the best and most relevant evidence to support your position.